Friday, May 25, 2018

Ekaete


The sudden strike of thunder jolted me back
Even thou the room was dark,
The lightening produced a rough view
Another soul lying innocently beside me

Hiding from the cold underneath the small wrapper
Ekaete oh poor girl!
Sent parking from home by her wicked step mother!
You wonder why?

Let me tell you my pathetic story,
We were young and full of unguarded energy.
I literally saw sparks whenever I saw her!
Her smile left me speechless,
The sensation her skin produced on mine
Can only best be imagined.
In simple words, we were “LOVE BIRDS”!

And in our final year in school,
Reading at night was inevitable!
Then came that night.
On a chilling November night
The harmattan season at its peak here in Jos,
A gentle tap on my back distracted my unsettled concentration.
Turning back,
What stood in front of me can best be described as an “angel”!

As we walked out of the auditorium with her in front,
Staring at the curves exposed by her tight jean and armless top,
Lustful desires stormed my head!
The dark path to her hostel was just perfect
The cold winds narrowed my options
If only I had not obliged to walk her
If I had listened to her solemn pleas
Caught up in the heat of the passion
I forgot my safety kits!

Now just five months after that evil night
Here I am,
Serving in a remote village in the East, Orji River in Enugu State to be precise
Ekaete out of school and without a home
Forced to pitch her tent with me

Both forced to survive on my mean allowance
And worse, expecting baby(s) I never planned for!
I ask myself,
Is it my fate or my destiny?

Must I suffer all my life because of one night’s mistake?
How long will this last?
How long will my so called love withstand this trial?
I face everyday with so many challenges I can’t overcome!
Now you’ve heard my story
Before you judge me,
What’s yours?!

1 comment:

  1. Do you know why I love your writing it's not the usual Nigerian writer style .I particularly love the way you leave me wanting to read more. This is a start to a beautiful story I can tell.

    ReplyDelete

Ripples Beyond My Heart - Part 1

  “ It can’t be, it shouldn’t be, this can’t be happening to me “, what can’t be?, asked Ibrahim as he turned around with a sharp stare whi...